Friday, April 24, 2009

Medialert Necklace

Hi everyone I know it has been a while. I haven't posted anything in a while I have been working on my family,church, and a real sick friend. A friend of mine called me the other day and said "Hey I am in the hospital." I said "Is everything okay with the baby?"( She is 8 mos pregnant with her 2nd girl her oldest is 3. She begin to tell me. I have seen tons of doctors. There not sure yet all I know is that my husband came home and found me lying on the floor in my own urine etc. with my little girl running around. I knew what was going on but couldn't say it or get it out. (remind you she is 8 mos pregnant!)He rushed her to the hospital where she stayed for 5 days. She said all they know was that my potassium is really low and it made me paralyzed. They don't know why it is low. So the doctors after days of research found out she has Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis is a rare inherited muscle disorder that causes episodes of paralysis or weakness. Episodes may last anywhere from an hour or two to days, and may vary in intensity from episode to episode. It is a very scary disease because each time she has these attacks it cause muscle damage that cant be repaired. Which could mean she eventually in life could be in a wheel chair. Which scares her to death. So the doctors were going to let her out of the hospital but the she started early labor so they kept her long enough to stop it. Then she was released with the orders to eat three bananas a day and take potassium supplements. Easy right take these thing and you will be fine well not really. If she gets her potassium to high it could kill her. As well her potassium levels could be normal and she still needs more potassium because her body requires it. There is no machine like sugar taking machines for potassium for this reason. Another thing with these attacks is they are trigger resting after exercise so it doesn't just happen when it is slow something triggers in her body to just drop the levels.We were talking on the phone and she ask me to research her disease for her because she doesn't really understand. I have researched it and I suggested to her to get a medialert necklace for her if she is out in the store with the kids and one of the attacks come along. Just being home with a newborn etc. with today's economy her husband cant afford to stay home and sometimes works out of town. I think this is something she really needs. She talk to her doc about it and he said that it was a wonderful idea and a necessity. I have set up a donation button on my blog for her the necklace
http://www.americanmedical-id.com/marketplace/build.php?buildwhat=necklace this is where we are ordering it from it cost 49.00 for the necklace with shipping and handling. We really would appreciate if you could donate because I really don't have the money to buy this for her and she don't either with a newborn baby. So if you could donate it would be to a good cause. Every time she looks down at her necklace I know she will think there is still good people who give just to give. Like we were intended too.
Thanks for reading I also want to provide you with one of the pages I used to research her disease and got info from to write this blog.
http://www.hkpp.org/faq/hypokalemic_periodic_paralysis.html
Thanks Ashley!

No comments:

Post a Comment